Buy at KW Empanadas!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Coming to Canada - Part 2

(Continues from here)

Our decision was made, we were going to Canada. We then had to announce it to our families. I got all kinds of reactions from my side: understanding, happiness, anguish, even indifference. From Gaby's side, we got support, as we expected. Those who were going to be affected the most by us leaving, like Gaby's family and my brothers, were the first to understand us and back us up. But we knew that for some of them, like my mother in law, this was heart-breaking, and it wasn't easy. Once we talked to our family, I let my boss know what my plans were, in case they had long term plans for me. After all that Rolando and his company had done for me and my family, it was the least I could do.

We submitted our application and started working toward meeting all the conditions. One of them was that we had to prove that we had enough money to support our first six months in Canada, in case I didn't get a job right away. I needed C$ 10,000 for me and C$ 2,000 for each of my dependents, which made the total C$ 18,000. That was a huge amount of money, which we didn't have. We went to the bank (Scotiabank) and applied for a personal line of credit for USD 10,000, which was granted to us immediately (advantages of having an impeccable credit record). Back in 2000, that was almost enough.

Once we submitted the application and got the money, we only had three more things to do while we waited for the visas: go through the medical examinations, pick the place where we would live and for Gaby to start studying English. I didn't think I needed to study, as I had been working with my colleagues from New Jersey since 1997, without a problem.

After a very dedicated research, we chose Saint John, New Brunswick, in the Atlantic coast. We had found a place that had mountains (like Gaby likes), sea (like I wanted), close to the American border (we were 1,200 Km away from Washington DC, where my brother lives). It was a place with many things to do outdoors, and a respectable development of the IT industry; I had contacted a few companies already, and even had a few job interviews on the phone. Our case agent was very impressed when she interviewed us: we had really done our homework!

The time passed, and things at work were getting worse. Our project was cancelled, and I was afraid I was going to lose my job at any moment. Soon enough, and as we were already defining the day I would leave, I lost my job. It was the first Friday of September (remember this!), at about 7 PM, and my boss came to my desk and told me: "Gordo, I have no more work for you as of now". My situation was very precarious: I was still saving money, thinking of leaving in about two or three months, and suddenly, I'm unemployed. But that's when Destiny intervened... Only three days after that, on Monday morning, we got the notification from the Canadian Embassy: our visas were ready for us to pick up... Now that was a signal...

(Continues here)

(Continúa desde aquí)

La decisión estaba tomada, nos íbamos a Canadá. Ahora había que anunciarlo a nuestras familias. Del lado mío hubo de todo: comprensión, alegría, angustia, hasta indiferencia. Del lado de Gaby, como siempre, hubo apoyo. Aquellos quienes tal vez iban a sufrir más nuestra ausencia, como la familia de Gaby y mis hermanos, fueron los primeros en entendernos y darnos su soporte. Pero sabíamos que a algunos, como mi suegra, les estábamos partiendo el corazón, y eso no era fácil. Una vez que hablamos con nuestra familia, le comuniqué a mi jefe cuáles eran mis planes, en caso de que tuvieran planes a largo plazo para mí. Después de todo lo que había hecho Rolando y su empresa por mí y mi familia, era lo mínimo que podía hacer.

Presentamos nuestra aplicación y nos pusimos en campaña para cumplir todos los requisitos. Uno de ellos era que debíamos demostrar que teníamos dinero suficiente para vivir seis meses en Canadá en caso de que no consiguiera trabajo enseguida. Se requería C$ 10.000 para mí y C$ 2.000 por cada uno de mis dependientes, lo que llevaba el total a C$ 18.000. Una enormidad, no teníamos ese dinero ni por casualidad. Fuimos al banco (Scotia) y solicitamos un préstamo personal por U$S 10.000, el que nos fue otorgado sin problemas (las ventajas de tener un historial crediticio impecable). En 2000, eso era casi el dinero suficiente.

Ya teníamos la aplicación presentada, y habíamos conseguido el dinero. Sólo nos quedaban tres cosas por hacer mientras esperábamos las visas: ir a la revisación médica, definir en qué lugar en Canadá íbamos a vivir y que Gaby empezara a estudiar inglés. Yo no creí necesitarlo ya que tenía todo el entrenamiento de mi trabajo (había estado trabajando a diario con mis colegas de New Jersey desde 1997).

Después de un período de investigación muy dedicado, elegimos Saint John, New Brunswick, en la costa atlántica. Teníamos un lugar con montaña (como le gustaba a Gaby), playa (como me gustaba a mí), cerca del límite con USA (estábamos a 1.200 Km. de Washington, donde vive mi hermano, en línea recta por la ruta I-95). Teníamos un lugar con muchísimas cosas para hacer al aire libre, y un respetable desarrollo de la industria de IT (computación); yo ya había contactado varias empresas y hasta había tenido un par de entrevistas telefónicas. Nuestra case agent estaba muy impresionada: habíamos hecho muy bien los deberes!

Los meses pasaron, y mientras tanto, las cosas en mi trabajo empeoraron. Nuestro proyecto fue cancelado, y yo temía quedarme en la calle en cualquier momento. Al poco tiempo, y cuando ya estábamos definiendo la fecha de mi salida, me quedé sin trabajo. El primer viernes de Septiembre (recuerden este dato), a eso de las 7 de la tarde, mi jefe vino a verme a mi escritorio y me dijo: "Gordo, no tengo más trabajo para vos". Mi situación era de lo más precaria: todavía juntando dinero, pensando en irme en tal vez dos o tres meses, y de golpe sin trabajo. Pero intervino el destino... Apenas tres días después, el lunes a la mañana, nos llegó por el correo la notificación de la Embajada de que estaban las visas disponibles... Toda una señal...

(Continúa aquí)

7 comments:

  1. This story is getting very interesting Gabriel.
    Keep posting it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And?! Keep going! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes time, Biddie! Remember that the little I have already written is in Spanish, so I have to make it look nicer and THEN translate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No te puedo creer, al principio leia y me dije, que tujes este pibe! se viene y consigue laburo en 2 dias... pero ahora veo que fue mucho mas complicado...
    Seguire leyendo...
    Esta bueno leer estas cosas luego de tanto tiempo y con el resultado ya puesto... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mi comment iba en el post de la tercera parte... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que bien pensada y calculada estaba su decision de ir a Nueva Brunswick con todo lo que les atraia a nivel de naturaleza.

    (apenas lei la II parte)
    supongo que habra novedades en la tercera, porque todos sabemos que estasn en ONTARIO!!

    Arturo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bueno, parece que nunca nos encontramos. Nosotros vivimos en Saint John desde setiembre de 1990 hasta julio del 2006, cuando nos mudamos a Ottawa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter
Share |